Implementation of Energy Conservation support project (First dispatch of experts) for Brazil
Under the instruction and financial support of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Energy Conservation Center, Japan (ECCJ) has been implementing a 3-year cooperation plan (FY2015 to FY2017) based on the following program in order to promote energy conservation in Brazil.
(1) Building and dissemination of a model energy management system based on the ISO 50001 at cooperative factories (4 of them)
(2) Development of a proposal to prepare and improve the energy management regulations and an energy conservation promotion support system
(3) Formulation and dissemination of an action guidebook for power saving and power peak shaving
The ECCJ dispatched experts from July 15 to 27, 2017 to not only determine an FY2017 action program together with the Ministry of Industry, Foreign Trade and Services of Brazil, but also to confirm and give advice on the progress of activities of the public and private affiliate bodies.
(1) Concerning building of the model energy management system based on the ISO 50001, we interviewed three cooperative companies in zinc smelting, car manufacturing and aluminum product manufacturing on the building status of their energy management system (EnMS) and confirmed that each of them had almost completed the activities of this program. Each company is going to globally expand the results of this project, including their overseas business offices, expecting to obtain greater effects.
Also, in order to expand these results to other domestic companies in Brazil, we confirmed a template of a dissemination report for consolidating necessary data. Each company is going to prepare the dissemination report in the future.
(2) Concerning preparation and improvement of the energy management regulations and energy conservation promotion support system, the working group officials of the federal government agencies concerned and the Sao Paulo state government got together to hold a review committee in Brasilia.
The committee confirmed an existing legal system associated with energy conservation and specifically shared deficient regulations and support measures.
Because it is effective to enact the energy management system to prepare and operate the energy conservation support measures under the existing energy conservation act, The ECCJ gave advice on the elements of the energy management system and improvement for utilizing the existing financial support measures.
(3) Concerning formulation and dissemination of the action guidebook for power saving and power peak shaving, we confirmed draft points, etc. with a working group consisting of government officials, etc. to aim at completing a draft by the end of the year.
As mentioned above, the efforts for (1) to (3) have been steadily implemented to bear fruits.
We will visit the sites again in November 2017 next time to confirm the progress status and promote the project.