ECCJ held a carbon neutrality diagnosis seminar in the FY2022 energy conservation support project for ASEAN countries
Under the instruction and financial support of the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (ANRE), the Energy Conservation Center, Japan (ECCJ) held a Carbon Neutrality (CN) Diagnosis Seminar on February 2, 2023 in an online format as part of the invited training in the current fiscal year’s AJEEP (ASEAN-JAPAN Energy Efficiency Partnership) Scheme 5 Program. At the seminar, in order to contribute to decarbonization management, explanations of CN diagnosis procedures and methods of preparing the diagnosis reports were given, and introductions to details of activities implemented by private-sector companies were made.
(1) Lectures by experts: Explanations of CN diagnosis procedures and diagnosis report preparation methods
(2) Activities implemented by private-sector companies: Energy Solution Japan Inc. and Kurume City
(3) Confirmation and discussions on the situation for selecting CN diagnosis factories and buildings in each ASEAN country
The CN Diagnosis Seminar was held in an online format as the third part of the AJEEP Scheme 5 Program which was newly started from the current fiscal year. The meeting had participation by a total of 20 persons, focused on 18 policy makers from the ASEAN countries and two persons from the ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE). Explanations were given of CN diagnosis methods and on methods for preparing the diagnosis reports, and introductions to CN diagnosis case examples conducted by private-sector companies were made. Additionally, confirmation of the selection results and situations of the CN diagnosis candidates in each ASEAN country was made based on the guidelines that had been sent beforehand.
(1) Explanations were given of CN diagnosis procedures and on the diagnosis result report preparation in order to contribute to decarbonization management. By also responding to the questions from each ASEAN country, their understanding was deepened relating to CN diagnosis.
(2) Introductions were given to two case examples of CN diagnosis results implemented by private-sector companies. The results through the perspective from the diagnosing institution side and from the company receiving the diagnosis were introduced, and understanding was obtained from each ASEAN country.
(3) Following the guidelines that were sent beforehand, confirmation was made of the selection results and situations of the CN diagnosis candidates in each ASEAN country. It was confirmed that at the current point in time, six factories or buildings in three countries have been selected, and that one other country is currently investigating a factory or building.
(4) Explanations were given to define the launch of the CN project, and understanding was obtained from the ASEAN countries regarding the ways of proceeding with CN diagnosis s from the next fiscal year.
(5) The results of the questionnaire relating to CN new technologies that was implemented during ECAP28 were reported, and an explanation was given of the schedule for introducing the technologies in ECAP from the next fiscal year. ECCJ will introduce the technologies from the next fiscal year following the requests from each ASEAN country.
(6) Regarding the factories and buildings which are to have CN diagnosis s in the next fiscal year, additional candidates will be considered and determined after the meeting.
* AJEEP: ASEAN-JAPAN Energy Efficiency Partnership
Program for building EE&C capacity in the ASEAN region by dispatching experts and implementing training in Japan